Recipe Submitted By: Ruth Rosenthal
May 7th, 2017
cookies for breakfast
makes 12 cookies
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large banana)
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter, stirred (I used crunchy peanut butter and it tasted great!)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons liquid virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup add-ins of your choice (Laura recommends dried blueberries, pumpkin seeds, and chopped walnuts. I used raisins and pumpkin seeds.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rolled oats, cinnamon, baking soda, sea salt, almond flour, and brown rice flour until combined.
- In a bowl of a food processor, combine the mashed banana, almond butter, maple syrup, ground flaxseed, coconut oil, and vanilla. Process on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Scrape the almond butter mixture into the large bowl with the oats and flour mixture. Thrown your add-ins into the bowl. Stir the mixture with a spatula until you have a unified and very stiff cookie dough.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten each mound of dough with the palm of your hand. Slide the baking sheet into the oven and bake until lightly golden brown, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool cookies completely before storing in an airtight container. The cookies will last on the counter for 5 days. You can also wrap each cookie individually with plastic wrap and freeze them. Place all the wrapped cookies in a resealable bag and defrosts them as needed. Or, bring them to the Roaring Donkey Run for a fun after-run snack!
- Reprinted from The First Mess Cookbook by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2017, Laura Wright
- Gluten Free